Three Generations. . .
The McGillicuddy family became involved in the property in the 1950's, when it was first purchased by local businessman Gene McGillicuddy, Mick Allen and Ted Keane. The hotel opened its doors for the first time as The Manhattan Hotel in 1958, after extensive redevelopment.
Gene McGillicuddy's son Owen returned from training in Switzerland and throughout Ireland with the Great Southern Hotel group and joined his father in the business in 1968. A passionate and dedicated hotelier, he went on to create a hotel with one of the strongest reputations in Ireland.
In 1982, the hotel returned to its roots and it was renamed Ballygarry House. It had always been considered critical to retain the original spirit of Ballygarry House - that sense of being at home.
Owen's son Padraig, who was born into the family hotel and worked in the kitchen since his pre-teens, took a classical route into hotel management. He studied at Galway Mayo Institute of Technology and Luasanne. Padraig worked in very well known hotels throughout Ireland; the Great Southern, Maryborough House and Hayfield Manor. He spent some time training in Switzerland to gain the knowledge and expertise before returning home in 2000.
Padraig returned to assist in managing the hotel and in 2003, Padraig proudly became the third McGillicuddy to assume the role and title as Proprietor of Ballygarry House.